Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Surname Help » Robert Popeley of Popeley

Ask others for help on certain Surnames
20/02/2015 22:50:41

manuscriptoz
manuscriptoz
Hi, I'm trying to make contact with anyone who is researching the Popeley name in the Birstall area. I have an original vellum manuscript from 1583 - a legal document re land transfer between Robert Popeley of Popeley and Robert & George Appleyerde of Gildersome. This manuscript, which is the Popeley half of the full document, turned up in my secondhand bookshop in Australia and I have been researching it for the last 8 months. I now know how it came to Australia and specifically to my bookshop. I have been researching parish records online to see if there is a family link between Robert Popeley and Reuben Brown of Morley (who owned the deed in 1916) but haven't had any luck so far (there are a lot of generations in 330 years). I'm visiting Morley next month to further research the saga and would love to find someone with Popeleys in their ancestry to chat with. Also does anyone know if the parish records for St Peter, Birstall at WYAS Wakefield are more complete than what's available on Ancestry? thanks & best wishes, Lorraine
0 permalink
23/02/2015 10:14:18

valm
valm
Popeley Fields are about ΒΌ of a mile away from where we live and are between Birstall Church and Huddersfield /Leeds Road and are almost on land belonging to Ellen Nussey s family of Bronte fame ( they used to stay with her ). Leyland Paints now own this land and old house .

I will be happy to try to help. . There are 2 local historians who I know and they may be able to help a lot more.

I would also like to help the person from America who is trying to sort out their Summerscales and Gomersalls.
Val
edited by valm on 23/02/2015
edited by webmaster on 23/02/2015
0 permalink
23/02/2015 21:42:34

manuscriptoz
manuscriptoz
Thanks Val! Can you tell me if there is a graveyard at St Peters, Birstall? I know it's unlikely but there may be some Popeley graves there. And I would love to hear if the 2 local historians have come across Robert Popeley. cheers, Lorraine
0 permalink
16/07/2016 16:56:17

Bezza
Bezza
I realise this is an old post and someone may have replied directly, but "just in case" I have found the following information. The Society have publications for Birstall. If you click on publications then Birstall down the left hand side of the page you will see 4 publications listed. Under Burials there are 8 booklets listed from 1561 to 1905 which can be purchased from the society. I also found the following information listed (but can't remember where). 14 August 1488 Joh Popley esq. of Birstall to be buried in the church of St Peter before the crucifix as his ancestors were.
0 permalink

Home » Surname Help » Robert Popeley of Popeley