Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Surname Help » Holroyd (stone masons & builders)

Ask others for help on certain Surnames
27/08/2015 14:20:53

davepattern
davepattern
Hi everyone

I'm not related to a Holroyd, but I've been researching Bethel Holroyd (1804-1874) of South Crosland as I've found out he built the house that I live in near Netherton (and also a number of other rows of working class housing in the Huddersfield area).

I've put what I've found about him here https://huddersfield.exposed/p/7c3 but I'm struggling to connect his parents (Joseph & Mary) to other stone mason Holroyds of the late 1700s and early 1800s, so I was wondering if anyone out there had already done some research into that surname?
There seems to have been a cluster of them in the Lingards Wood/Chain area above Marsden during that period.

regards
Dave
0 permalink
27/08/2015 18:25:53

davepattern
davepattern
...and a couple of secondary questions, just in case anyone knows the answer:

1) Has anyone indexed the gravestones at Holy Trinity, South Crosland? The Bethel's are buried there, so I was curious if they had one. Apparently the church doesn't have a handy list.

2) Bethel's Will mentions he owned (and presumably built) 8 properties named as "Albert Terrace, Thongsbridge". These don't seem to appear on any maps, but might be these back to back houses (Google Street View). I don't suppose anyone can confirm that or point me at where they might have been?

Thanks!
Dave
0 permalink
31/08/2015 20:07:24

John
John
There is no mention of an Albert Terrace in the censuses for Thongsbridge.
However, three "Alberts" do appear: Albert Hotel (now called "Old Albert"), Albert Place, and Albert Buildings.
The latter is a terrace of 8 dwellings built 4 x 2 back to back. http://is.gd/5fL9Cn
(Click on the rectangle icon at top right; then click twice on the minus sign at top left to remove the blue overlay.)
Notice the orientation of the terrace is North-South.

In his Will, Bethal refers to "the six westermost of my eight cottages at Albert Terrace Thongsbridge"
That eliminates Albert Buildings as it has only four cottages on the West.
The only other terrace of 8 dwellings in the area is "View Terrace" - the one in your Street View link.
It was constructed similarly to Albert Buildings but orientated approximately East-West and so satisfies the wording in the Will.

The name "View Terrace" does not appear in any census prior to 1891; though there is reason to believe it existed before then.
In 1871, between listing Albert Buildings and Luke Lane Top, the enumerator listed eight households at "Lower Hey";
a name that does not appear in any other census or on any map. He then returned from Luke Lane and went down Heys Road.
Three of the eight "Lower Hey" heads of household were listed in Bethal's 1874 Will as occupying cottages at Albert Terrace.

In the absence of further information, it seems likely that Albert Terrace, the "Lower Hey" dwellings and View Terrace are all one.
0 permalink
11/09/2015 12:57:52

davepattern
davepattern
Many thanks for the detective work, John!
0 permalink
22/09/2015 17:00:25

judith varley
judith varley
Hi
My GGrandad Frederick Hobkinson bought 4 houses built by Holroyd in a row of houses known as Bethel Buildings ,Netherton in about 1904
he later sold them to his Granddaughter Betty Hellowell
Judith
0 permalink
10/10/2015 09:36:03

davepattern
davepattern
Hi Judith

Many thanks for replying!

I've managed to put together some information about Bethel's life and have discovered that he lived (and very likely died) in the house I live in on Meltham Road (formerly known as "Spring Terrace"): https://huddersfield.exposed/p/7c3 (there's also a link to his Will on that page). Bethel's son Edwin and his grandson John Ernest Preston also subsequently lived in my house.

If you'd be willing for me to add the information about your great grandfather to https://huddersfield.exposed/p/7c2 please drop me an email with the details: davepattern@gmail.com
0 permalink
25/10/2015 16:10:52

ya jan
ya jan
Administrator
Regarding the indexing of the graves at South Crosland, these have been done by one of our members and the last time I asked about them (this year) I understand they are in the system waiting to be entered into a booklet.
0 permalink
25/10/2015 16:42:44

webmaster
webmaster
Administrator
Sorry but South Crosland is not in the collection of MI index cards currently being worked on.
0 permalink
26/10/2015 10:59:05

ya jan
ya jan
Administrator
Sorry to disagree but I went with M.Ware to record these M i's at South Crosland, probably about three years ago. When the conversation about cemeteries cropped up I was asked to contact her and was told that the Project Officer had been given the information. Will try and get an update.
0 permalink
17/12/2016 11:39:08

webmaster
webmaster
Administrator
Hi - my attention has been drawn to this thread by the junk phone adverts that appeared. They have been deleted. However reading the detail again I can conform that the memorial Inscriptions for South Crosland have indeed been collected by Mrs Ware and her friends. These have now been transcribed and the booklet will be published in the spring (need a bit of decent weather to verify the locations in the graveyard) . I can confirm that an inscription for Bethel Holroyd d 1874 exists. I will let you know when the booklet is published.
0 permalink
20/12/2016 10:31:24

davepattern
davepattern
Just a quick update, as I'd forgotten about this thread!

Bethel's plot is alongside the path which runs up to the church from the east gate entrance:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/huddersfieldexposed/sets/72157665721050193/

In Memory of Allen, Son of Bethel and Ann Holroyd of Netherton, who died Nov'er 24th 1834 Aged 2 Years.
Also of Joseph their Son, who died March 1st 1842 Aged 1 Year.
Also of the above Ann Holroyd who died Aug'st 4th 1858 Aged 48 Years.
Also of the above Bethel Holroyd, who died September 12th 1874, Aged 70 Years.
Also of Mary Schofield, entered into rest, October 4th 1916.
Also of Emma Jane Wilson, sister of the above who died December 28th 1923, Aged 80 Years.

Ann was Bethel's wife and Mary & Emma Jane were their daughters. Mary married John Schofield (c.1837-1910) and Emma Jane married American dentist Charles Gilbert Wilson.

Presumably Bethel's son Edwin (died April 1888) is buried somewhere nearby with his wife Jane (née Preston). Edwin's two surviving daughters (Ann Maria Holroyd & Janet Emily Holroyd) emigrated to America prior to WWI.
0 permalink

Home » Surname Help » Holroyd (stone masons & builders)