Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Family History Help » Rushworth

Ask others for help on all aspects of Family History
23/09/2016 01:05:29

Teresa Rushworth
Teresa Rushworth
Hello -- I am new here and so I'm making this post here as well as under "Surnames"; I am an American Rushworth descended from William Rushworth, who was born in Huddersfield in 1814 and later moved to Bradford. He worked as a chemist involved in manufacture of ammonia (perhaps for use in the textile business?). His parents were Thomas, a "stocking weaver" and Elizabeth. I believe his father was Thomas Rushworth born in Huddersfield in 1775. He is listed in the 1841 census as a 66-year-old "cloth dresser" at Folly Hall. I know Folly Hall was the name of a mill, but there is no residential address listed for him. He also appears to be living alone at this time. I've been using Ancestry.com at my local public library and info seems to get pretty scarce prior to the 1841 census. I'm attaching that census file here. I'd love to know if anyone can shed any light on my family (By the way, my branch of the family came to the U.S. in 1907), the listing of "Folly Hall" in the census record, and also if we have any relatives living in Huddersfield (or elsewhere in Yorkshire) today.

0 permalink
23/09/2016 15:27:48

davepattern
davepattern
Hi Teresa!

I think the earlier censuses were quite basic (e.g. how many people lived in an area and what jobs did they do), so the 1841 census is the first useful one for family trees. "Discovering Old Huddersfield" has some info about where the name Folly Hall came from -- originally a hall, then the name of the general area where the hall was, then the mill took its name from the area. Residential addresses start to appear on the later censuses, and became essential when the postal service started.

There was some housing at Folly Hall and Thomas' residence will likely be somewhere on the 1851 Town Plan of the area (the boundary line going across the middle shows the housing was just outside the boundary of the town and inside the parish boundary of Lockwood):

Are you sure Thomas was born in Huddersfield? There a Thomas Rushworth (son of Jonas Rushworth) who was baptised at St. Mary, Illingworth, on 15 January 1776.

Presumably your ancestor is the Thomas Rushworth who married Sarah Cockin on 19 September 1796 at the Parish Church in Huddersfield.

There was a Thomas Rushworth who died in Huddersfield in January 1843 but he wasn't your Thomas. This Thomas was born around 1801 and lived at Aspley with his wife Rachael and family. Sadly he committed suicide as there's a note in the burial record which reads "terminated his existence by drowning himself in a water lock" (i.e. a canal lock).

There is a Thomas Rushworth of the right age who died in April 1860 aged 85 and was buried at Edgerton Cemetery, Huddersfield, on 18 April. What that doesn't explain is why Thomas doesn't seem to appear in the 1851 census.
0 permalink
23/09/2016 19:23:12

sandrastocks
sandrastocks
Thomas Rushworth does appear in the 1851 census, still living with the Swindon family at Folly Hall. He is transcribed on Ancestry as Thomas Rushworth Swinden. It gives his place of birth as Hipperholme.
I wonder if Martha Swindon is his daughter? It does look as though he is listed on the census as father in law.

There is a baptism of a Thomas Rushworth at Lightcliffe St Matthews Church on 27 December 1774, father John. No other information, but Lightcliffe would come under the Hipperholme area.

Sandra
0 permalink
23/09/2016 23:42:19

Teresa Rushworth
Teresa Rushworth
Thank you, Sandra and Dave! I can't believe it didn't occur to me that he could have been with relatives in Folly Hall and yet be the only Rushworth -- a married daughter, of course! But it's true that I'm not certain the Folly Hall Thomas is my ancestor. All I know for sure is that my ancestor had a son named William in 1814 in Huddersfield with a wife named Elizabeth, at which time Thomas was listed as a stocking weaver. Is it possible to pin him down based on that information alone?
So the Thomas Rushworth who died in 1860 and is buried in Edgerton Cemetary may be the same one who was living at Folly Hall with the Swindons in 1841 and 1851, but may or may not be my ancestor. This is fascinating! I'll welcome more input on the matter.
0 permalink
24/09/2016 10:29:45

sandrastocks
sandrastocks
Hi Teresa

Martha was the daughter of Thomas and Sarah Rushworth, so it looks like this isn't your Thomas.

I've found two possible marriages in Huddersfield for Thomas and Elizabeth

Marriage to Elizabeth Armitage at St Peters Church on 4 September 1809. I've found two children of this marriage showing they lived at Paddock so I don't think this is your Thomas.

Marriage to Elizabeth Haigh at St Peters on 24 July 1791, but I'm can't find any children for this marriage so not sure if it's your Thomas. I wonder if he didn't marry in Huddersfield?

Three baptisms of children of Thomas Rushworth, stocking weaver -
William 1814
Hannah, 1816. married Thomas Boothroyd 27 August 1844 at St Peters
Mary, 1819. married William Cundall 16 February 1840, living at Kirkgate. William Rushworth witnessed the marriage. Mary may have died in 1842 and was buried at Holy Trinity Church, living at Towning Row.

Your William was first married to an Elizabeth and had children Elenor, Tom and Walter in Huddersfield before moving to Bradford and marrying Caroline Shaplin in 1853.

Hope this helps, although still not tracked down Thomas!

Sandra
0 permalink
24/09/2016 12:37:35

Teresa Rushworth
Teresa Rushworth
Yes, our Thomas seems to be an elusive fellow! You have a geographic advantage in this type of research because if you see the name of a town, you probably know whether it's right next door or far off; I'm checking Google Earth all the time! :-) (I'm assuming you live in the area). I had come across the same info you found about William, as a widower, marrying Caroline Shaplin, a widow, in 1853. BTW her father was listed as James Bartlett, a farmer.
Based on your knowledge of the local history, do you know how specialized people might have been in the weaving business? For example, could a "stocking weaver" later be listed as a "cloth dresser"? Was it more a form of simple labor or a specialized skill? Also, since I may have extracted everything possible from the census records at this point, what documents have you generally found to be most helpful after that? I should probably get deeper into some church records from the area if possible. How available are birth and death certificates over there? Ancestry has US death certificates, and they are very informative documents, but I don't recall seeing a link for UK death certificates.
0 permalink
24/09/2016 13:49:14

sandrastocks
sandrastocks
Stocking Weaver doesn't appear to be a Yorkshire trade. I've not come across it before but it seems to be more from the Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire area, but I could be wrong.

The baptisms I've found between 1814 -1819 and the marriage from 1840 to 1853 all give Thomas's occupation as stocking weaver, so I don't think he can be the same Thomas as the cloth dresser at Folly Hall in 1841 and 1851.

Unfortunately none of the marriage certificates indicate that Thomas was deceased. There is one other possible burial at St Peter's Church on 12 January 1832 - Thomas Rushworth aged 61 of Huddersfield but he may have been a little old to be William's father?

Civil Registration in Britain didn't begin until 1837 so before that you have to rely on the Church records for births, marriages and deaths, and the information in those very much depends on what the Parish Clerk felt like recording.
0 permalink
25/06/2017 02:04:51

Ron Rushworth
Ron Rushworth
My name is Ron Rushworth, the brother of Teresa Rushworth, who initiated this forum post. I plan to visit Huddersfield during my July vacation to the UK, and I would like to follow up on the information that Teresa has already gathered. Would the most useful step in gathering further information about Tom Rushworth (father of William, who was born in 1814) be to visit St. Peter's Cathedral to inquire about christening records, etc.?
0 permalink
25/06/2017 19:39:46

IanS251
IanS251
Hi Ron-If you get time when in Huddersfield please visit the H.D.F.H.S. Root Cellar in Meltham only about five miles from Huddersfield centre.Our opening times and details are on our web site www.hdfhs.org.uk We have all the St Peters parish records transcribed and published.- Ian Stevenson.
0 permalink
26/06/2017 10:09:45

ya jan
ya jan
Administrator
Hi Ron- following your email on the same subject sent to the Librarian at HDFHS yesterday there will be a reply given from the Research Team later today Monday 26 June 2017- kind regards, on behalf of the Research Team, Janet
0 permalink
30/10/2018 00:49:56

Teresa Rushworth
Teresa Rushworth
SandraStocks ~ I know it's been a while! But I've recently had another source mention the Thomas Rushworth -- Elizabeth Armitage marriage in 1809, and I've revisited the info gleaned from my foray into this forum. You mentioned that you'd found two children of this marriage, but the info that the family was living in Paddock led you to believe that was likely not my Thomas. I assumed Paddock was far away, but upon further examination have realized that Paddock is very near Huddersfield, so now I'm wondering. I'd set down the genealogy for a while, but may make another stab at it. In the absence of the appearance of a more likely Thomas, I think I'll give this one another go. Oh, and by the way, I've learned the word "stockinger," which is what a stocking weaver was apparently called. That was new to me! Do you live in Yorkshire?
0 permalink
05/11/2018 20:59:14

sandrastocks
sandrastocks
Hi again

I've had another look at this for you but not found out much i'm afraid.

As you say, Paddock is very close to Huddersfield but the reason I thought the Paddock one wasn't your man is that the father of William, Hannah and Mary was said to live in Huddersfield and Paddock was noted as a separate place in the St Peter's parish church registers.

However, it's possible that the Paddock Thomas later moved to Huddersfield.

There is a baptism for Sarah Elizabeth Rushworth, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (nee Armitage) of Paddock at St Peters on 10 March 1810 but it doesn't give Thomas's occupation. I said that I'd found two children for this couple but I can't find the other one at the moment. I'll let you know if I come across it again.

I still haven't found Thomas in the 1841 census - he may have died or moved from Huddersfield by then. There is one more possible burial at St Peter's for Thomas - 26 May 1837 aged 46 of Huddersfield, which would mean he was born about 1791. Frustratingly, registration of BMDs didn't begin in England until 1 July 1837 so you can't even send for a death certificate to see if it's the right person.

And yes, I do live in Yorkshire!
0 permalink

Home » Family History Help » Rushworth