Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Surname Help » Nolan

Ask others for help on certain Surnames
11/10/2016 14:18:32

mikechristopher
mikechristopher
My great-uncle Andrew Nolan moved over from Kerry, Ireland to Huddersfield. He is listed as living at 28 South Street, Huddersfield in the 1939 register. He was living with the McMullen family it seems and worked in the building trade.

I am trying to identify where he is buried but have been unable to find him as of yet. Also trying to find out any information about him as know nothing about him or the people he was living with.

He was born Feb 15 1890 (1939 register states 1893) and died in Sept 1941.

Any help anyone can give I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike.
0 permalink
14/10/2016 15:27:30

ya jan
ya jan
Administrator
It might be possible to get this information from the local Kirklees library by asking for a search of the Huddesfield Examiner if you live away. There may be a small charge depending on the time it takes to find the death. There should be details of the funeral, giving possibly the address of the deceased and the place of the funeral. Worth an enquiry. Tel 01484 414868 or search on-line
0 permalink
15/10/2016 21:39:09

sstarr2008
sstarr2008
I had irish relatives living in that area about the same time and they used St Patricks RC church and were buried in Edgerton cemetery
0 permalink
17/10/2016 10:27:05

mikechristopher
mikechristopher
Thank you both for your help I shall give that a go!

I dont suppose there are any burial records online anywhere as would like to restrict cost where possible and happy to look through them however I know they are few and far between.

Thanks again
Mike
0 permalink
18/10/2016 08:26:00

mikechristopher
mikechristopher
ya jan wrote:
It might be possible to get this information from the local Kirklees library by asking for a search of the Huddesfield Examiner if you live away. There may be a small charge depending on the time it takes to find the death. There should be details of the funeral, giving possibly the address of the deceased and the place of the funeral. Worth an enquiry. Tel 01484 414868 or search on-line

Thank you for your advice - I haven't as of yet got his death certificate but wrote to Huddersfield Library Local Studies and they were fantastic! By the end of the day they got back to me with the following:

We therefore checked the burial register for Edgerton cemetery, which under the circumstances was the most logical. We located the following entry in the unconsecrated section:- Burial no 27292, burial dated 26th July, 1941, Andrew Nolan, labourer of 28 South Street, this was a single interment (ie not a family grave), Section 19R no. 119, the ceremony being performed by Rev P J Power.

Please note that fact that this was a single interment would imply that there would be other persons in this grave, but they would not necessarily, and in fact probably not, be in any way connected to Mr. Nolan. Our staff have also checked the local newspaper and have not traced any death announcement or obituary.

I am guessing by the fact they say there could be other people in the grave is that it is likely it was the equivalent to a paupers grave? And likely to be no headstone
edited by mikechristopher on 18/10/2016
0 permalink

Home » Surname Help » Nolan