Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Family History Help » St James Meltham Mills Churchyard - Plan? MIs?

Ask others for help on all aspects of Family History
03/11/2016 20:12:15

arthurk
arthurk
Hi everyone, I've just joined and have a query about the churchyard at St James Meltham Mills, where some of my ancestors and other relatives were buried. The dates that I know of are in the period 1852-1917.

The burial register very helpfully gives a grave reference for each burial entry, but does anyone know of a plan so that I can work out which ones it's referring to? I'd also be interested to know if there are any recorded memorial inscriptions anywhere.

Just in case anyone else might be researching the same family, the one I'm interested in here is Richard HIRST (1807-1899) and his wife Mary (née WHEATLEY) (1807-1879). Both were buried at St James, together with some of their children. Richard and Mary's grave is no. Y27, and others are Y25, Y26, A4, B4 and B5 - with varying degrees of certainty.

I know HIRST is a very common surname in the Huddersfield area, but Richard was born in Badsworth, near Pontefract, and his family can be traced back another 4 generations in that area (also Campsall and Owston, north of Doncaster). Whether they link to Huddersfield further back is yet to be discovered.

Thanks for any help with this,

Arthur
0 permalink
04/01/2017 17:25:44

arthurk
arthurk
As a follow-up to my earlier post, today I managed to visit both the society Root Cellar and St James' churchyard.

The short answer to my query is that no-one knew of any churchyard plan, and there was no sign of any recorded MIs. However, when I went to the churchyard I did find some of the graves I was looking for, and the following may help others searching for memorials there.

It seems that the rows are identified in an east-west direction, with numbers in each row going from north to south. So A4 is near the eastern corner, by Harewood Mount and the rear of the properties on Meltham Mills Road, with B4 and B5 in the next row. Many of the stones in that area are lying down, some with the inscription facing downwards. Row Y is against the boundary on the other side of the churchyard, and the plots I was looking for, numbered in the 20s, are near the west end of the church building.

Some of the churchyard is a little wild, and in these places in particular the ground is rather uneven, as well as partly covered in leaves at this time of year, so it's a good idea to tread carefully.

Anyway, my trip was pretty successful - 4 stones found out of 6 possibles, and a couple of other interesting ones to look into. Hopefully this will help anyone else considering a visit.

Arthur
0 permalink

Home » Family History Help » St James Meltham Mills Churchyard - Plan? MIs?