Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Requests » Traveling in 1600

Requests of a general nature not connected with other forums, request such as membership etc.
09/03/2017 19:20:22

pvaughan
pvaughan
I'm trying to get a feel for the sort of distances that villagers around 1600 might travel in a given year, say.

For example, my immediate puzzles are a couple of fellows in the Emley area —Thomas Hare, who married Jenet and Robert Page who married Dorothy — who may have found their respective spouses in other villages, but I'm not sure how far away I should be looking. They each seem to have married a little before 1600, at which time I wouldn't expect them to have traveled far to meet the ladies in question. But am I selling those lonely farmers short?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Phil Vaughan
Ontario, Canada
0 permalink
12/03/2017 16:01:53

sstarr2008
sstarr2008
Well if they were yeoman farmers then they could have easily married outside of their parish. I think that my own family came to Huddersfield from Blackburn or Burnley in Lancashire at around this time.
Parish records are sparse and so less useful at this time, wills and court rolls may be of more use to trace your family before 1600.

Stuart
0 permalink
12/03/2017 18:03:05

pvaughan
pvaughan
Thanks, Stuart.
True enough about the scarce parish records! I'm still learning — after lo, these many years — about other available records in England. Having left there at the age of two, I don't remember much.
Thomas I have good reason to believe was a yeoman farmer, but I'm not clear on Robert. I had come to the conclusion that they had both married outside their parish, but I haven't worked out how far they were likely to have traveled on any regular basis — to a larger market town, say. For that matter, I don't even know which towns would have been worth visiting in that time frame. I need to find an appropriately ancient map, I suppose.
I'll also take your advice and look for legal docs.
Thanks again!
Phil
0 permalink
23/04/2017 18:52:24

sstarr2008
sstarr2008
Surrounding parishes are Kirkburton, Flockton, Thornhill, West Bretton, High Hoyland and Scisset. They could well have travelled to markets and courts in Wakefield or Huddersfield. Also at that time Emley was under the lordship of the Saville family of Elland and Halifax so rents or any land or property dealing may have required them to visit the Lord of the manor.

Stu
+1 permalink
23/04/2017 23:25:43

pvaughan
pvaughan
Some good points, Stu. I hadn't thought about visits to the lord, although I was somewhat aware that the Saville family owned the land. Thanks again!

Phil
0 permalink

Home » General Requests » Traveling in 1600