Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Requests » Traveling in 1600

Requests of a general nature not connected with other forums, request such as membership etc.
|
09/03/2017 19:20:22

pvaughan
pvaughan
I'm trying to get a feel for the sort of distances that villagers around 1600 might travel in a given year, say.

For example, my immediate puzzles are a couple of fellows in the Emley area —Thomas Hare, who married Jenet and Robert Page who married Dorothy — who may have found their respective spouses in other villages, but I'm not sure how far away I should be looking. They each seem to have married a little before 1600, at which time I wouldn't expect them to have traveled far to meet the ladies in question. But am I selling those lonely farmers short?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Phil Vaughan
Ontario, Canada
0 permalink
23/04/2017 18:52:24

sstarr2008
sstarr2008
Surrounding parishes are Kirkburton, Flockton, Thornhill, West Bretton, High Hoyland and Scisset. They could well have travelled to markets and courts in Wakefield or Huddersfield. Also at that time Emley was under the lordship of the Saville family of Elland and Halifax so rents or any land or property dealing may have required them to visit the Lord of the manor.

Stu
+1 permalink
|

Home » General Requests » Traveling in 1600