Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Surname Help » Moorhouse/Morehouse from Holmfirth/Kirkburton

Ask others for help on certain Surnames
24/03/2018 23:33:32

genealogist888
genealogist888
Hi, I’m looking of help trying to unpick the Moorhouse family of Holmfirth/Kirkburton.
John Moorhouse b 1809 in Fulstone was my 4x Great Grandfather. He married Hannah Moorhouse, b@1797 in Thurstonland, (presumably a cousin of some sort) in 1835.
I am struggling to reliably identify their parents because of the large number of Moorhouses, and the common use of John as a forename.
If anyone is able to help me break through the tangle I would be really grateful.
Many thanks, Sara
0 permalink
09/05/2018 11:42:41

teacupamy
teacupamy
Hi Sara, I am currently starting where my grandad left off with our family history and we have some Moorhouse's in our records definitely. My records are at home but I do have a photo of one of the pages with the following names and dates...

John Moorhouse (born 1831 in Kirkheaton), married Nanny Brummit (born 1825 in Kirkheaton)

Children from this marriage were:
Alice (born 1867)
Tom (born 1864)
Emma (born 1854)
Nanny (born 1859)
Betsy (born 1862)
Mary (born 1845)

Do any of those mean anything to you?

I will check my records properly when I get home later!

Fingers crossed!

Amy
0 permalink
12/05/2018 15:46:30

christine.a
christine.a
genealogist888 wrote:
Hi, I’m looking of help trying to unpick the Moorhouse family of Holmfirth/Kirkburton.
John Moorhouse b 1809 in Fulstone was my 4x Great Grandfather. He married Hannah Moorhouse, b@1797 in Thurstonland, (presumably a cousin of some sort) in 1835.
I am struggling to reliably identify their parents because of the large number of Moorhouses, and the common use of John as a forename.
If anyone is able to help me break through the tangle I would be really grateful.
Many thanks, Sara
0 permalink
12/05/2018 15:53:19

christine.a
christine.a
I doubt there is a connection to Kirkheaton. I have connection to Moorhouses at Fulstone but don't have the names & dates you ask about, although there were a lot of them!! Go to Root Cellar if you can, where there is (was - check with librarian) an excellent volume by another researcher, Brian Wadsworth, called Moorhouse Family History.
My 3 x G/GM was Hannah Moorhouse born 1810, but she married William Aspinall. Your Hannah may well have been a cousin of hers.
Christine
0 permalink
12/05/2018 16:05:29

christine.a
christine.a
BTW check your details. If you mean the John & Hannah on the 1851 census (whose dates fit) with children Sam, Tom & Ruth they married at Kirkburton. Don't think marriage was possible at Thurstonland in 1835. She was Hannah Ainley as far as I can tell, born at Thurstonland. Hope this helps.
Christine
0 permalink
05/06/2018 07:53:33

davepattern
davepattern
The Parish Registers of Kirkburton: 1654-1711 has John Moorhouse marrying Hannah Ainley in 1835:
https://huddersfield.exposed/book/17990#page/306/mode/2up/search/John+moorhouse+*

"Amos and Mary Moorhouse" were present, so may have been John's parents? However, this might have been Amos Ainley and Mary Moorhouse as there don't appear to have any entries for an Amos Moorhouse.
0 permalink

Home » Surname Help » Moorhouse/Morehouse from Holmfirth/Kirkburton