Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Local History Help » Spring Place, Longroyd Bridge

Ask others for help on all aspects of Local History
06/11/2018 09:52:49

sandrastocks
sandrastocks
I have a family living at Spring Place, Longroyd Bridge in the 1841 census but haven't been able to find it on an old map. The addresses on the census after Spring Place are 'between the two bridges' and Longroyd Lane, so I wonder if Spring Place became Fenton Square? A member of the family died at Fenton Square in 1849.
Would welcome any input
kind regards
Sandra
0 permalink
07/11/2018 18:38:55

John
John
Hi Sandra,

According to the 1841 Census Street Index, Longroyd Lane was enumerated in Piece 1275, Book 10, folios 38 and 42 - 44;
while Spring Place was enumerated in folios 39 - 42. That suggests Spring Place was either part of, or just off, Longroyd Lane.

It cannot have been an earlier name for Fenton Square as that place was also enumerated, in folios 33 - 34.

The earliest large scale map to which I have access was published in 1851, and there is no Spring Place marked on that.
The WYAS has a map of 1838 ; but it spans from Longroyd Bridge to Aspley, so may not be detailed enough.

Failing that, The Hudds University Library may have an early map. If Dave Pattern doesn't see this post, it might be worth sending him a PM.

Regards,
John.
0 permalink

Home » Local History Help » Spring Place, Longroyd Bridge