Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Local History Help » Old bus companies in Huddersfield

Ask others for help on all aspects of Local History
|
19/11/2019 08:07:07

Heather-Sophia
Heather-Sophia
Hi all,

A quick 'shout out' to local Historians of Huddersfield :-)

Am researching my grandfather's family who hail originally from Kirkcowan Wigtownshire Scotland. According to my 93 year mother, he had a sister Mary Thomson who married a Willie Haigh (?) who ran a bus company in Huddersfield around 1950. They had one daughter Lottie. Then again, none of this information may have any veracity!

Does any of this 'ring a bell' and if not, are there any collections that I can source to research?

Many thanks,

Heather Thomson
History Librarian
Libraries and Museums,
City of Melville
Perth Western Australia
0 permalink
15/01/2020 20:26:04

sandrastocks
sandrastocks
Hi Heather

I think your mother’s information is true!

I’ve found Charlotte Haigh’s birth in Huddersfield - she was born at Paddock, Huddersfield on 13 December 1904 and baptised at Paddock All Saints Church on 26 February 1905. Her parents were William and Mary - William was a greengrocer.

In the 1911 census, Willie Haigh was a ‘carrier of goods’ and the family lived at Market Street, Paddock. Willie and Mary were both aged 25 and Mary was born in Scotland

They were married in Huddersfield at the beginning of 1904 - Mary’s maiden name is shown as Thompson. I think Lottie may have died in 1929 but I haven’t found her burial.

Le me know if you’d like any more information

Sandra
+1 permalink
15/01/2020 20:34:14

sandrastocks
sandrastocks
I’ve now found the marriage of William and Mary at Rashcliffe church on 13 June 1904. Mary’s father was named as James Thompson, a shepherd,

Sandra
+1 permalink
|

Home » Local History Help » Old bus companies in Huddersfield