Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Surname Help » Kilner Family, Huddersfield, prior to 1800

Ask others for help on certain Surnames
02/02/2010 03:37:27

calliek
calliek
Hi,

I'm looking to find the parents of Thomas Kilner of Carr House b about 1783
Thomas KILNER m Harriet HIRST
13 MAR 1806 Saint Peter Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Father's name Geo (George?) Kilner, no mother's name give
Thomas and Harriet had 11 children that I know of and I have most the info from them onwards

Thomas might belong with this family:

George KILNER and possibly Mary HIRST -
married 9 Apr 1769 St Peter's Huddersfield, Yorkshire

Children
George c. 28 Feb 1772
John c. 13 Mar 1776
William c. 14 May 1778

All St Peter's Huddersfield.

I've been told that some of this family might be found in Kirk Heaton Parish Church register. I am in Canada and don't have ready access to parish records so if anyone has any info on the above or suggestions how to find it I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Heather Kilner
0 permalink
10/02/2010 22:43:29

wynb
wynb
My colleague and I have found the following information for you.
Thomas Kilner b 3/3/1783.
Father George Kilner bap 25/04/1746 son of John Dalton , married Mary Hirst by licence 09/04/1769 Kirkheaton.
Mary Hirst b 05/07/1751 at Deighton father James. Huddersfield St Peters.
Marriages by licences can be ordered from Borthwick Institute,York University.
Form can be downloaded.
0 permalink
16/02/2010 23:26:45

calliek
calliek
Thank you! I very much appreciate the assistance and I will send for the wedding certificate of George and Mary to see where that leads me. I wonder why George is a Kilner and not a Dalton?
0 permalink
08/05/2011 22:58:32

calliek
calliek
I know it's been a while since I posted this but I'm hoping someone can clarify something for me. I never had an opportunity to send for this marriage license and I will be making a trip to Huddersfield this summer to do some research. Is there a location that I can go to see this record in person or would I receive more details by sending for it before I arrive?
0 permalink
09/05/2011 18:35:09

ya jan
ya jan
Administrator
There should be a fiche at HDFHs Meltham showing the marriage of George Kilner to Mary Hirst although I couldn't find it in the transcriptions for marriages at Kirkheaton. What I did notice though and feel it is important was, that the baptism of George Kilner 25/04/1746 had his father as John and the abode as Dalton not his name.
0 permalink
10/05/2011 14:13:45

calliek
calliek
Well that would make far more sense, thank you! Is Dalton a nearby place or perhaps a street name?
0 permalink
11/05/2011 13:19:21

sstarr2008
sstarr2008
Most of the area between Huddersfield & Kirkheaton used to be classed as Dalton. If you Google "Kilner bank" you will see that it is a road in what is now known as Rawthorpe but is technically still in Dalton.
I think that the Kilners may have owned a fulling mill along the river Colne near to the bottom end of Kilner bank.
0 permalink
17/05/2011 17:19:39

calliek
calliek
Thanks! Speaking of Kilner Bank, does anyonw know about it's history and why it's named Kilner Bank? I know a bit of the more recent history but no idea where to do research on it
0 permalink
22/05/2011 15:40:16

ya jan
ya jan
Administrator
I have looked at an 1848 map of Huddersfield and it shows the area above the River Colne from the Moldgreen End as Kilner Bank Lane (nearly one mile long) and this comes out at Rawthorpe. Between the lane and the river towards the Rawthorpe (Dalton) end there is Kilner Bank Wood and this appears to stretch nearly half a mile.
This may have been a lovely place 200 years ago but at the other side of the river there appeared chemical works which destroyed any beauty because of the pollution. However in this last 50 years since I was a child it is being restored to its former glory.
0 permalink
27/06/2019 08:01:49

jnkilner
jnkilner
Calliek..... maybe you are no longer looking at this site as it is a long time since your previous message but I thought I would just mention how I believe Kilner Bank got its name. Between 1551 and 1572, two Kilner brothers, John and Thomas Kilner, settled in Dalton area. There is a record of John Kilner being a Constable in Dalton in 1551 and in 1560 Thomas tenanted about 17 acres of land and a fulling Mill in 1560 by the river Colne from a Richard Longley. John had a son also called John & he tenanted 60 acres of land in Dalton, Kirkheaton & Almondbury.... This land along with Thomas's land I believe is where the Huddersfield football ground is now.... Hence these guys, because of the amount of land they tenanted gave the name to Kilner Bank. I have yet to anaylse the acreage of land in the tenancies and link to a specific area but i reckon this can be done hopefully..... Hopefully this helps...... I'm the grandson of James Arthur Kilner who ran Lion fireworks in Lepton from 1941 to 1973 when it closed..... & I have traced our family tree back to John and Thomas in Kirkheaton.
0 permalink

Home » Surname Help » Kilner Family, Huddersfield, prior to 1800