Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Family History Help » James Ellis, stonemason, born Kirkburton 1788

Ask others for help on all aspects of Family History
16/07/2010 12:29:16

lesleytelford
lesleytelford
I am hoping someone can advise me about possibility of James Ellis, born Kirkburton 1788, becoming a stone mason.

He married in Huyton, Lancashire about 1820, where his children were born; after his wife died he moved to live with his eldest daughter in Chorlton in Manchester where he died. His sons all became stone masons, so this was clearly his trade. He gave his birthplace in 1861 census as 'Kirkburton, Yorkshire', and I have found a James Ellis baptised in Kirkburton 27 Dec 1788, son of Thomas Ellis.

But as far as I can tentatively work out the rest of the family in Kirkburton seem to have been wool weavers. I suppose James could have been apprenticed to a stone mason in the area - would this have been likely?

I am new to Yorkshire history, and would be grateful if anyone has information about history of Kirkburton, or of Ellis family there in eighteenth century (there seem to have been quite a few of them!)

Best wishes,

Lesley

I have
0 permalink
16/07/2010 12:58:27

lesleytelford
lesleytelford
I have found some information about Church Lane Methodist Chapel, which lists several stonemasons and stone dressers among the marriages at the chapel. http://www.calverley.info/clmeth_mar.htm

Marriages at the chapel only started in 1902, but still suggests that there must have been a history of stone work in the town.

Very grateful if anyone has any local knowledge of eighteenth century Kirkburton (perhaps this post should have been on local history page in your forum?).
0 permalink
12/08/2010 19:18:03

lesleytelford
lesleytelford
I had a message from Ruth in Manchester, but it came to me as a personal message, and am not sure whether Ruth has received my reply. Ruth - we are researching the same family; I am very pleased to have found you, and would like to share information. Sarah Ellis, born 1822 in Huyton was James Ellis's daughter - she was my G G Grandmother. I would be very interested in any information you have about James Ellis's family and about when James moved from Kirkburton to Lancashire, and who he married. You can contact me by email if it is easier: lesleytelford@gmail.com.
0 permalink
17/04/2011 15:11:55

ya jan
ya jan
Administrator
In answer to your question regarding the possibility of someone becoming a stone mason in the area of Kirkburton, it is very likely. Following the Enclosure act in the 18th century land had to be sectioned off. In the Kirkburton area this was done with miles of dry stone walling. My ancestors (The Mellors)had a quarry at Shepley and all the men were Stone Masons, Delvers or labourers. They were not the only family to be Stone masons, around that time. As the work moved further away some men, followed the work(The main occupations of the people in Kirkburton, or any part of Huddersfield for that matter, would have been weavers or something to do with the woollen trade.)
Around the 1840's many stone masons were required to build the railways. In the hilly regions surrounding Huddersfield there are marvellous examples of the work of the stone masons with huge viaducts and embankments connecting the area around Kirkburton to the next town of Penistone.
0 permalink
04/05/2011 07:53:18

pllyryn
pllyryn
I was very interested in your response to a fellow researcer as my greta grandfather and his father were stone masons .They originated from the Wirral and came to Huddersfield in the mid 1800's.Would there be records of the companies involved in employing stone masons.
0 permalink
19/03/2018 22:14:00

Mralfred
Mralfred
I have just received death certificate of Elizabeth/Betty Ellis, who was wife of Thomas Ellis, and possibly the mother of James Ellis as mentioned in the original post. In the certificate it states that Thomas Ellis was a a stonemason.
Elizabeth/Betty is in the 1841 census with her son Edward and 3 married daughters, in Kirkburton. I think the daughters had returned home to see mum, as she died in 1841.
0 permalink

Home » Family History Help » James Ellis, stonemason, born Kirkburton 1788