Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Surname Help » joshua Midwood

Ask others for help on certain Surnames
12/10/2010 03:17:54

dianem
dianem
trying to trace Joshua Midwood of honley, buried in the non-conformist cemetary on moorbottom road across from Trinity church in 1840 , at the age of 77. Need to determine his relationship to Abraham Midwood , believed to be his son , and any other pertinent knowledge of this
family
0 permalink
16/10/2010 17:35:49

sherlock
sherlock
Hi, I can find no baptism record for a Joshua Midwood at Almondbury, which was the mother church covering Honley in 1763. This gives you two options, either he was an early non-conformist, or he was not born in the area. If he was early non-con you are looking at either Quaker, Catholic or English Presbyterian.
Sherlock
-1 permalink
22/12/2010 17:03:34

Midwood
Midwood
I am a direct descendant of this Joshua Midwood. His son Abraham was born in 1786 and he died in 1792 at Honley. At that time our family were founder members of the Moor Bottom Independent Chapel.
I am descended from Abraham's brother Joshua.
-1 permalink
20/01/2011 14:42:42

dianem
dianem
Thank you on your response to my post on Joshua Midwood of Honley. The source for my research is a manuscript written in 1915 by the great grandson of Abraham Midwood. In this manuscript it notes that the grandfather of the writer was a Henry Midwood and he recounted that his father Abraham Midwood had been born in Honley, Yorkshire England , one of six sons of a manufacturer, who disowned Abraham. I have New York port records showing Abraham and his three sons, arrived in the U.S. at New York City on January 22nd 1848 on the ship "New World".
From there they removed to Providence, Rhode Island U.S.A. where many decendents still reside. Abraham is buried in the Midwood plot at Pocasset Cemetary in Cranston, Rhode Island. His marker lists his age as from January 30th 1796 to August 10 1862. On researching Abraham I was drawn to the Moorbottom Cemetary and made the assumption that the inscription on the Miodwood marker for Hannah Midwood was that of the wife of our Abraham Midwood. If this is not the case then I will have some more research to do. I f you have any more threads iI would appreciate hearing from you
thank you again Dianem
0 permalink
13/12/2014 13:39:14

mazzie74
mazzie74
Hi
I don't know if you have found this information yet, but Abraham Midwood's baptism is listed in the Non-Conformist registers in Honley on 13th March 1796 - the son of Joshua and Sarah Midwood. His birth date is given as 31st January 1796 (too close not to be your Abraham).
It also appears that his father, Joshua and his 2nd wife Mary Oldfield also had 2 children who's baptisms are listed in the Non-Conformist registers in Honley:
Joseph the son of Joshua and Mary Midwood born April 3rd - baptised June 8th 1802;
Lydia the daughter of Joshua and Mary Midwood born June 13th - baptised September 29th 1805.
Abraham's Grandfather, Joshua's burial is also listed in the Non-Conformist Register of Highfield. Joshua of Huddersfield was buried on 19th April 1797 aged 79 years.
Thanks,
Darin.
0 permalink

Home » Surname Help » joshua Midwood