Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Local History Help » Info on shop in Birkhouse Lane, Moldgreen?

Ask others for help on all aspects of Local History
11/08/2012 12:24:03

teepee
teepee
Does anyone have a recollection of a shop (now demolished) in Birkhouse Lane - the shopkeeper was named "Jinny" her maiden name was McGann - married name Hirst. I don't know whether the shop was called something else or have an exact time period but it was post WW1, and she was possibly still there post WW2. I believe that this was a "corner shop" but I'm not certain about that. Any info would be gratefully received!
Thanks
0 permalink
12/08/2012 16:32:06

ya jan
ya jan
Administrator
Hi -Whilst I don't remember the name quoted I do remember the shop at the corner of Birkhouse Lane/School Street or Victoria Street.. Our neighbours from Senior Street took over the shop about 1951 George Royle. Whilst I am in touch with their family my email is having problems so I am unable to contact his son, who is now over 70 to ask if he can remember the shop before his parents took it over.. It is a long time ago and I remember going to the shop, on my own at four years old. Don't think that would be allowed nowadays. If I can contact them I will ask. Happy searching. -janet
0 permalink
13/08/2012 17:11:14

teepee
teepee
Janet: Thanks for the reply....... in 1951 Jinny/Jennie Hirst would have been 63 years of age, so it might well fit that she would have left her shop then - it would be great if George Royle could confirm the previous owners. btw I think that Jinny/Jennie died in 1965 (tbc)
0 permalink
05/11/2012 13:30:58

ya jan
ya jan
Administrator
Sorry for the delay in answering. I wrote to the son of the owner and he confirms what you have asked. Regards -j

About No10 Birkhouse Lane. Dad bought the shop from Mrs Hirst in1951 it may have been 52 it was after grandma Royle died and that was 51. She had a daughter who was a spinster I think, but I don't know any christian names I'm afraid. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
0 permalink
05/11/2012 17:28:18

teepee
teepee
wyjan wrote:
Sorry for the delay in answering. I wrote to the son of the owner and he confirms what you have asked. Regards -j

About No10 Birkhouse Lane. Dad bought the shop from Mrs Hirst in1951 it may have been 52 it was after grandma Royle died and that was 51. She had a daughter who was a spinster I think, but I don't know any christian names I'm afraid. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Janet: Thanks very much for this...... your friend has confirmed that this was, indeed, the shop I was looking for.... I knew that Jinny Hirst had an unmarried daughter, so that is the clincher!!!
Regards Tom
0 permalink
11/11/2012 12:27:07

ya jan
ya jan
Administrator
Glad I could be of help. Regards J
0 permalink
30/03/2018 09:19:55

Post redacted following unwelcome advert spam attack
edited by webmaster on 30/03/2018
0 permalink

Home » Local History Help » Info on shop in Birkhouse Lane, Moldgreen?