Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Local History Help » How to pronounce Crosland Mill?

Ask others for help on all aspects of Local History
03/07/2013 04:48:40

dod15
dod15
I have an ancestor who lived at what looks like 'Delf at Crolland Mill', according to the baptism register. As I can't find any such place, Crosland seemed to be the closest, assuming local pronunciation doesn't sound the 's'. Can someone left me know? I did think Delf could mean Delves Wood? Any suggestions from locals? Delf was hard to read in the register, it could be Duff, Dolf??? Thanks from Australia.
0 permalink
03/07/2013 21:38:19

John
John
What looks like 'Crolland' in the register is really 'Crosland', and is pronounced as such.
In old handwritten documents the letter s in the middle of a word was drawn as a long s.
To us it can easily be mistaken for a letter l, f, or d depending on the degree of flourish.

The collection of dwellings where your ancestor lived was variously spelled Delf, Delfs, Delph and Delves.
Delves Cottages and Delph Farm appear on modern maps; but I do not know how many orginal buildings survive.

There was, and still is, a 'Crosland Mills' about a mile from Delf; but the place name in the register is more likely to be 'Crosland Hill'.
0 permalink
04/07/2013 09:56:28

dod15
dod15
Many thanks for this. Yes, a closer look shows faint flourishes on the first L which actually makes it an S. However, the second word is definitely Mill not Hill. The baptism record reads "James Whitacre of Delf in Crosland Mill carpenter. There's no punctuation but a closer look at the rest of the entries on the page shows the scribe has left a small gap between the abode and the occupation. In my ancestor's record the gap is actually before the word mill, not after, so perhaps I should be reading the abode as Crosland and the occupation as Mill carpenter? Either way, you've answered my question, so again, many thanks.
0 permalink
30/03/2018 09:19:57

Post redacted following unwelcome advert spam attack
edited by webmaster on 30/03/2018
0 permalink

Home » Local History Help » How to pronounce Crosland Mill?