Powered by Jitbit Asp.Net Forum free trial version.
home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Username

Password

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Local History Help » Huddersfield workhouses in 1851

Ask others for help on all aspects of Local History
08/12/2013 21:19:07

mbfindlay
mbfindlay
I wonder if anyone knows the addresses which were used for the various workhouses in the Huddersfield Union in 1851? I am trying to establish how many people were actually in the workhouse at the time of that Census and how many came from Ireland as part of my Dissertation.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Mary Findlay
0 permalink
10/12/2013 22:13:42

Bezza
Bezza
This information may get you started. There is a website www.workhouses.org.uk that might be of interest. For further information you could try the Local Studies Library in Huddersfield who also have a West Yorkshire Archive Service at the same address. Telephone 01484 221965. Email huddersfield.localhistory@kirklees.gov.uk
0 permalink
11/12/2013 15:51:59

mbfindlay
mbfindlay
Many thanks for the information. I have already tried both of these and although the Workhouse site gives the names of the workhouses its not enough info to find them on the Census. Thanks again, Mary
0 permalink
12/12/2013 20:55:35

John
John
You don't need the addresses.

In the 1851 Census, Huddersfield (Registration District 497) was enumerated in Piece numbers 2291-2296. [1]

Using Ancestry, open the drop down menu in the 'Relation to Head' box and select 'Pauper'.
In the 'Piece' box enter the first Piece number and click 'Enter'.
Determine the location of the workhouse from the images. (You should find Almondbury, Golcar, Honley, Kirkheaton, and the Union Workhouse.)
Change 'Pauper' to 'Inmate' and repeat. (Both terms were used.)
Move on to the next Piece number.
(Note: Piece numbers 2291 and 2293 return "No matches found".)

[1] The National Archives: 1851 Census Huddersfield.
0 permalink
15/12/2013 18:07:18

mbfindlay
mbfindlay
Many thanks for this information. I have tried to do as you suggest but can't find the page where I am able to use the drop down menu for 'relationship to head'. I have tried the page for the 1851 census but can't see it there. Would you be kind enough to tell which page I need to use. Many thanks
0 permalink
15/12/2013 20:03:03

John
John
Ah, I see the problem. I always use 'Old Search' on Ancestry as I consider it to be superior to the new fangled 'New Search' to which it defaults.
Consequently I was not aware, until just now, that 'Relation to Head' on 'Old Search' is labelled 'Relation' on 'New Search'.
However, on clicking the down arrow in the box, I noticed that they have missed 'Pauper' off the list. (See comment above!)
So to do as I suggested in my previous post, you will need to switch to 'Old Search'.

Starting from Ancestry's Home page, click 'Search' in the menu bar at the top.
On the right hand side directly below the menu bar click 'Go to Old Search'.
Under 'Browse Records' click 'UK Census Collection'.
Scroll down and click '1851 England Census'.
Keep the 'Exact matches only' box ticked.

Apologies for the confusion.
0 permalink
16/02/2014 15:53:42

mbfindlay
mbfindlay
Many thanks for your help. Using the method you described I did manage to find all 5 of the workhouses. I wonder do you have any advice on how I could locate the Census records for Deanhouse and Crosland Moor Workhouses in the 1911 Census? Thank You
0 permalink
18/02/2014 21:04:06

John
John
Using Ancestry 'Old Search':-

County: Yorkshire-West Riding
Civil Parish: Lockwood (for Crosland Moor), or Honley (for Deanhouse)
Relationship to Head: Inmate ('Pauper' appears not to have been used.)
0 permalink
19/02/2014 11:49:34

mbfindlay
mbfindlay
Dear John - once again many thanks for your help. Found both of them with your information
0 permalink
30/03/2018 09:19:36

Spam advert redacted
edited by webmaster on 31/03/2018
0 permalink

Home » Local History Help » Huddersfield workhouses in 1851